Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day

We were greeted this morning to a cornucopia of delectible delights on our breakfast table. A dentist's dream, boxes of chocolates and sugary treats. Cards and flowers and stuffed animals. My husband has started a tradition, every Valentines Day he dresses the table in an array of pinks, reds and whites. Down the center of the table is a bear & heart table runner, around the window is a string of red puffed heart lights. Each place setting has a small box of candy, gift and card. In the center of the table is a stuffed bear that says "I love you" and a heart shaped bowl of treats. Each year he adds a new strand of foil cupids or hearts to the mix, it looks like someone vomited Valentines Day all over the table. This is such a sweet thing Tony does, but what a sight!!


You might wonder how did such a tradition get started. One year my beloved said he would pick something up for the kids for Valentines Day, I think I had forgotten, and he has been going great guns ever since. I think he enjoys it! As you can imagine chocolate for breakfast makes for an interesting school day! Thank goodness they are older now and have more self-restraint..they at least save some for dessert.


Tony and Dad bought mom and me a dozen roses. They are long stemmed, red and very pretty. Mom's are next to her bed and when she is lying on her side she can see them. Dad also got mom the sweetest card.


Hospice came today. Actually it was the "pre" information meeting. Unnecessary in my mind...but anyway...RuthAnn came, she is a psychologist, chaplin (women chaplins?), spiritual guide (?) and she wanted to recommend that we have the next person come to explain all about Hospice. I really didn't see the point of her coming?


So next week Ellie will come along with RuthAnn to discuss exactly what Hospice offers. I like our home health nurse so much that I hate to break in a new one....or three. Cutting to the chase I asked, what exactly does Hospice offer that we don't have through Home Health already? She said more help, someone we can call 24 hrs a day, someone who will help with the physical work caring for mom, someone who will help us when and if things get more difficult. If mom needed oxygen or higher dose pain meds they can get it quick. I can't imagine how things will change so it is hard for me to think we'll need help...but I guess we might. And dad might need someone other than me to talk to, although we do a pretty good job getting stuff out in the open. She mentioned that we might want to be able to really focus on mom and talking to her towards the end and not have to worry about her care/meds/etc.. I said that I think the work is what keeps me able to stay in the room with her, if I didn't have anything to do, I'd go bonkers...just sitting with someone who is dying is painful and frankly I've said it all. There isn't anything unsaid, so in the last moments of life I can't imagine I'll be squeaking out any important details. She knows she is loved, I tell her everytime I see her, I've thanked her for being a wonderful mom, I've told her I'm going to miss her and can't wait to get to Heaven myself! Save me a place in line, I don't think we'll be very far behind!! It is painful to watch someone die. Sooo not sure what they are offering is going to be needed...but I haven't walked here before so I really don't have a clue! On the other side of all this I'm sure I'll have a different story to tell.


So we'll see Ellie & RuthAnn on Monday.


Mom's BP and pulse are normal, breathing just great, no fluid in her lungs, no pain pills today, just sleeping a lot, drinking water. She was all smiles at Emily Joy when she came in to help me adjust Grandma in bed. Before that she was kind of grousing at me for having to uncover her....but in pops a grandkid and she is all smiles. She does that with Tony as well...all smiles when he stops in.


Off to make dinner before the kiddo's head off to karate.

No comments: